- This is the return of the evil Tories - the Lib-Cons are carrying on Labour’s work.
- The public will rise up - the most striking thing about the cuts debate is the extent to which it is taking place on an entirely elite plane.
- The age of austerity begins today - it was largely the liberal sections of the elite who over the past ten years laid the intellectual foundation stones for contemporary austerity.
- The Lib-Cons are taking hard decisions - the most revealing thing about the Lib-Cons’ cuts agenda is how short-termist and politically defensive it is.
- Cutting is the only game in town - the focus on cutting alone amongst both the Lib-Cons and their critics speaks to today’s severe poverty of thinking on economic matters.
20 October 2010
Brendan O'Neill - soothscribe yet again
"Five BS arguments that should be cut" he writes on Spiked. They are: