While The One, his "progressive" entourage and Congressional Democrats are getting their panties in a knot over Arizona passing a state ordnance restating US federal immigration laws - and enforcing them, which the federal government refuses to do - the Mexicans have been protesting about its draconian nature.
Nine state legislators from the Mexican State of Sonora travelled to Tucson on Tuesday to complain about Arizona 's new employer crackdown on illegals from Mexico. At a news conference, they said that Sonora - Arizona's southern neighbor - cannot handle the demand for housing, jobs and schools that it will face as Mexican workers return to their hometowns from the USA without jobs or money.
The Arizona law, which took effect on 1 January, punishes Arizona employers who knowingly hire individuals without valid legal documents to work in the United States. Penalties include suspension of, or loss of, their business license. "How can Arizona pass a law like this?" demanded Leticia Amparano-Gamez, who represents Nogales.
Oh, I don't know - maybe the same way the Mexicans themselves defend their sovereignty with an immigration code that includes the following provisions:
1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
2. All ballots will be in this nation's language.
3. All government business will be conducted in this nation's language.
4. Foreigners have no right to benefit from any government welfare programme, and any that become a burden on the tax-payer will be deported.
5. If foreigners come here to buy land, options will be restricted. Certain lots including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
6. Foreigners may make no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no criticism of our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.
7. If you do enter this country illegally, you will be actively hunted and, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.